Thursday, May 19, 2011

10 ways to help me in Costa Rica


For those of you who don't know already, in July I will be traveling to Costa Rica with People to People as a student ambassador. We will be learning about Costa Rican culture, educating locals of our culture, doing lots of community service work, while spreading People to Peoples message of "peace through understanding".
So, now that your all caught up on that... Time for the good news and ways you can help.
MY TUITION IS PAID OFF!!!
I had to raise $5,000 to go on this trip, and with much fundraising and generous donations its all paid off. Thanks SO MUCH to everyone who donated and helped me in my fundraising efforts! I can't thank you enough or begin to express how happy this makes me (I almost thought I wasn't going to make it!!)
Now, here are ways you can help me help others.
I STILL need donations. Here are list of things you lend me or buy me for this trip. All donations are extremely appreciated! I only ask that you avoid products from animal testing company's.


1: MONEY
The most useful thing you can donate to me is money. While my tuition is paid off, there are still things I need to go out and buy for this trip (uniform pants, personal items, etc.) And of course, I'll need to have some money while I'm in Costa Rica. Every single cent counts, so whether you shoot $5 or $50 my way, I will be extremely grateful.


2: FILTERED WATER BOTTLE
I've been doing my research on water safety and such in Costa Rica... And I've decided I might as well be safe and get a filtered water bottle. This is the bottle I've picked out.
And here is a link to the filters I'll need
This is the bottle I've picked out, but if you know of one that works better by all means let me know!


3: BUG SPRAY
This is something I SERIOUSLY need for this trip. The diseases you can catch from mosquito's are INSANE and Costa Rica is a real buggy place. Here is a link to the bug spray I prefer:


4: SUNSCREEN
Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a vampire a burn like crazy in the sun. This is a handy product I can carry with me.


5: TRANSLATOR
Pocket book translators just suck. They really do, I know from having to use them before. This thing will save me a lot of flipping through pages (and will save paper!). If you really want to get me something useful, THIS is it.


6: LAUNDRY DETERGENT
I will be hand washing ALL of my clothes in hotel bathtubs and sinks. This is the detergent I need,
English to Spanish phrase book


7: SD CARDS
Both my still camera and my video camera take SD cards. I take A LOT of pictures on trips like this and I plan on taking a ridiculous amount of video footage. It's impossible for me to have too many of these on my trip. This is a VERY useful thing to donate to me. Also, the more GB's they have, the better!


8: USB adaptor for Ipad/Ipod
Many of you have asked for me to keep you updated on where I am and what I am doing. With this little adaptor, I can upload pictures and video's onto my Ipad. Then, I can upload them to my blog or to facebook for all you guys to see.
I don't know how much internet access I'll have while I'm gone, but I promise to give everyone an update whenever I get the chance!


9: TRAVEL UMBRELLA
Ya know, one of those ones that folds up all tiny-like and fits into your suit case? Still need one of those. It's going to rain a lot, so this will be very useful to me.


10: SMALL CHEAP GIFTS
We will be spending time with children at an orphanage, and doing community service work with school kids and family's in a jungle village. I will also be having a homestay with a local family (I'll spend a few nights at their house).
Something very useful to give to me, are small cheap things I can give to these family's and kids... And leave as gifts for my homestay family. Here is what you can donate.
TEXAS QUARTERS - I can turn these into pins and hand them out. They were a big hit when I went to Europe, everyone loved them!
DECKS OF CARDS - Decks with the Texas Flag or American Flag on the back would be preferred.
BOOKMARKS - I handed out some bookmarks when I went to Europe and everyone loved them. Ones with Texas or American flags, or anything relating back to our country or the state of Texas would be preferred.
AMERICAN FLAG PINS
TEXAS FLAG PINS
And last but not least, our delegation is collecting Spanish language books to give to the children and family's in a jungle village we will be visiting. So, thats another useful thing to donate!
Please email me at madalyngrimm@yahoo.com if you would like to donate any of these items (including money) to me, please email me first to let me know so we can work it all out.
If something major I only need one of (like the translator) is donated, I'll be sure to take it off the list.
Thank you so much for all your support, it means the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment